Check Me Out!

Saturday, June 12, 2010

Review on The Karate Kid

Okay, at first I thought that The Karate Kid is just another movie for kids. 


I was so reluctant when my BFF suggested to watch it. Anyway, this movie surprised me a lot, in a good way. 



By the way, do you know that Jaden Smith is Will Smith's son?


Okaaaay, coz I don't know about that! ><


Get to know that from Tallboyz

Here goes the summary. (Duh, I'm too lazy to write on my own...)

12-year-old Dre Parker could've been the most popular kid in Detroit, but his mother's latest career move has landed him in China. Dre immediately falls for his classmate Mei Ying - and the feeling is mutual - but cultural differences make such a friendship impossible. Even worse, Dre's feelings make an enemy of the class bully, Cheng. In the land of kung fu, Dre knows only a little karate, and Cheng puts "the karate kid" on the floor with ease. With no friends in a strange land, Dre has nowhere to turn but maintenance man Mr. Han, who is secretly a master of kung fu. As Han teaches Dre that kung fu is not about punches and parries, but maturity and calm, Dre realizes that facing down the bullies will be the fight of his life. Written by Columbia Pictures




The common mistake people make about the need to learn Kung Fu is to be able to fight back. Real Kung Fu supposed to be self-defense or protect those who needed help. I read a lot about Kung Fu since I'm a big fan of those Chinese novels which stories revolve around Kung Fu and clans (武侠小说). So Mr.Han was attempting to instill the right value of Kung Fu among the practitioners whose perceptions had been distorted by their evil Kung Fu master. 




There are a number of funny scenes in the movie itself. Personally, I like the scene where Dre went to look for Mr.Han, the maintenance man who in charge of his Beverly Hills apartment (There's a "Beverly Hill" in China! Lolx.) to repair the malfunction hot shower facility. Apparently, Mr.Han showed Dre that there is a much better option than catching flies with chopsticks. 


I noticed that there had been one mistake in translation of a Chinese proverb. When Dre asked Mr.Han for more training, he turned him down and said,"物极必反". Of course knowing no Chinese, Dre asked Mr.Han the meaning of the proverb. He explained it as "too many good things will become bad things" (Er...he said something like that,I'm not too sure of the exact sentence.) when the exact meaning suppose to be "if one tried too hard, one might caused the thing to end up badly". God! I would have made a great translator! =P


Overall, The Karate Kid is a great movie that one should not missed!

5 comments:

. . . h u s n a . . . said...

waa.. sy x tgk lg crite karate kid. :) u bila lg nk blaja karate ?

Lemon said...

Lol, I learned Taekwando when I was young. However, I stopped when I reached blue belt...guess I did not have much determination back then. =P

Henry Lee said...

good movie... worth to watch! :D

Lemon said...

@Henry: Definitely! =)

四月 said...

ya, i watched that too.